10 Top things to do:
- Place you phone or computer-webcam at eye level. Prop it up on books if you need to.
- Locate the lens on your device (and clean it if needed). This video will help you identify precisely where to look!
- Speak to the lens during the recording. It’s more engaging. Here is an example.
- Look straight at the lens, not down or up.
- Ideally, avoid looking at yourself.
- Frame yourself in the centre.
- Be in an area that reflects who you are.
- Avoid using headphones unless needed.
- Be in a quiet space.
- Avoid backlighting which means having a window behind you for example.
There are many online video tools: Zoom, Webex, Google Meet, Facetime, etc. However, for better video and audio quality, we like to use Riverside.fm.
How to use Riverside.fm:
- Use your phone rather than computer. The lens on your phone is much better in quality.
- Download the app on your phone here: https://riverside.fm/mobile
- You don’t have to create an account for Riverside.fm.
- Access Riverside via the link you will be provided.
- Allow Camera/Microphone use if prompted.
- Close other applications on your phone or computer
- Put in your name, choose if you have headphones or not and join the studio, that’s it!
- You will see a countdown before recording happens
- Note that the recordings look and sound much better than what you see live
To sum up: Frame yourself nicely, light yourself evenly, look into the lens, be in a quiet space & bring your energy!
Other useful tips:
- Look at your notes if needed: as long as it seems natural, viewers will find that professional.
- Look natural while talking: move your head, feel free to use your hands, pause and think if needed.
- Imagine you are speaking to an audience. Imagine you are speaking to someone you are training for example.
- Smile even if it’s a serious topic. It helps convey a sense of warmth and engagement. And remember to breathe.
- Mute notifications on your computer or phone.
- If you wear glasses, avoid glare/reflections so we can clearly see your eyes.
- Use natural light. Sit close to a window. An overcast day is perfect. Avoid direct sunlight. If it’s too bright, close your blinds.
- Talk close to the microphone if you have one.
- If you have a good microphone, use it. For example, many use this microphone.
- Check your internet speed (download and upload) here. You ideally want a strong connection to allow the video files to be uploaded in a reasonable time. We recommend at least 5 Mbps upload speed.
- Dress comfortably, avoid brands and logos unless it’s required.